The mission of the Center for Community Change is to build the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to have a significant impact in improving their communities and the policies and institutions that affect their lives.
The Center for Community Change strengthens, connects and mobilizes grassroots groups to enhance their leadership, voice and power. We believe that vibrant community-based organizations, led by the people most affected by social and economic injustice, are key to putting an end to the failed "on your own" mentality of the right and building a new politics based on community values.
Founded in 1968 to honor the life and values of Robert F. Kennedy, the Center is one of the longest-standing champions for low-income people and communities of color. Together, our expert staff and dynamic partners confront the vital issues of today and build the social movements of tomorrow.
What We Believe
Only by challenging the "on your own" mentality of the right and building a new politics based on community values can we achieve social and economic justice.
- We believe that everyone should have a voice in the decisions that affect our lives and be fully engaged in our democracy.
- We believe in an America that honors the diversity of our racial and ethnic backgrounds as well as our experiences, talents and dreams.
- We believe that only together – by sharing our hopes, connecting with each other, and taking action together – can we change our communities and nation for the better.
What We Do
Amplify Community Voices: We ensure that grassroots voices are heard in Washington and shape the national conversation about building a better America.
- Strong community-based organizations and their brilliant leaders are our source of great ideas and real power. We strengthen the local power of these groups and elevate their voices from the grassroots to the national level.
- We deliver the grassroots message with authentic voices. We leverage our relationships with grassroots community leaders, ethnic and mainstream media, and national opinion makers to advocate for low-income people.
Combine Grassroots Power to Win: We unite grassroots groups and leaders across race and ethnicity, issues and geography to solve some of the most pressing problems facing low-income people today.
- We bring together grassroots leaders to learn from one another and our expert staff, and to join forces on common causes.
- We are a catalyst for action. Leveraging one of the broadest and most diverse networks of community based organizations, we've built a 40 year history of winning real improvements to the lives of low-income families.
Build the Social Movements of Tomorrow: We find and nurture the brilliant leaders and great ideas of tomorrow.
- We nurture the next generation of leaders. We discover opportunity and potential where others don't. Thousands of organizers and community leaders touch the Center for Community Change each year – we are dedicated to finding the stars of tomorrow and preparing them to lead.
- We incubate the ideas that will shape a better tomorrow. We bring together the most creative thinkers from the grassroots to the ivory tower to develop innovative solutions and a vision for an America where we're all in it together.